SENIOR PATROL LEADER
- Type: Elected by the members of the troop
- Term: 6 months
- Reports to: Scoutmaster
- Description: The Senior Patrol Leader is elected by the Scouts to represent them as the top junior leader in the troop
- Comments: The Senior Patrol Leader is the focal point of the troop. He needs to attend as close to all troop functions as possible. One of the major parts of the SPL's job is to appoint other troop leaders. He must choose leaders who are able, not just his friends or other popular Scouts.
- Age: none
- Rank: 1st Class or higher
- Experience: Previous service as SPL, ASPL, PL, or APL
- Attendance: 75% over previous 6 months
- Training: You must attend the troop Junior Leader Training even if you have attended in the past
- Attendance: You are expected to attend 85% of all troop meetings, Patrol Leaders' Council meetings, outings, and service projects. If your attendance is low, or if you have three (3) unexcused absences in a row, you can be removed from office.
- Effort: You are expected to give this job your best effort
- Uniform: Set the example by wearing your uniform correctly. This means that you will wear all of the parts of the troop uniform, shirttail tucked in, with all required badges in their correct locations.
- Behavior: Set the example by living the Scout Oath and Law in your everyday life. Show Scout Spirit in everything you say and do.
- Attendance: Set the example by being an active Scout. Be on-time for meetings and activities. You must call the Scoutmaster if you are not going to be at a meeting or if you suddenly have to miss an outing. You also need to make sure that the Assistant Senior Patrol Leader is ready to assume your responsibilities.
- Runs all troop meetings, events, activities, and the annual program planning conference
- Runs the Patrol Leader's Council meeting
- Appoints other troop junior leaders with the advice and counsel of the Scoutmaster
- Assigns duties and responsibilities to junior leaders
- Assists the Scoutmaster with Junior Leader Training
Go to Leadership Application Page
Back to "Leading The Way..." Page