SCOUTS AND SCOUTERS,
Pensacola is known as the City of Five Flags because it was under the rule of Spain, France, England, the Confederacy, and the United States. This trail will show you some of the history of Pensacola while under rule of these countries. The trail was established to provide Scouts with a background of the City of Pensacola's past history. The trail is approximately 4 miles long, and is a round-trip through downtown Pensacola, including several museums.
This trail was the Eagle Project of Gary Steiger, Troop 403, Ellyson Field, Pensacola, Florida, and was established in August 1977 with the help of some fellow Scouts, the Pensacola Historical Society, and the Chamber of Commerce. A patch and medal can be earned by hiking the trail. For additional information on The Pensacola, Florida Historical Trail, or to order Pensacola, Florida Historical Trail patches and medals, contact:
c/o John Steiger
8100 Monticello Drive
Pensacola, FL 32514-6872
Now let's start the trail. Using the map as your guide, begin at the Pensacola Civic Center (Point No. 1) on the corner of Alcaniz Street and Gregory Street. The trail is approximately 4 miles long.
1. PENSACOLA CIVIC CENTER – Vehicle parking available.
2. PERRY HOUSE - (Built 1867-1882) Charles A. Boysen, Swedish Consul to Pensacola, began this house, and it was completed by Edward A Perry, Confederate General and Governor of Florida. The Scottish Rite now owns the building.
3. FT. GEORGE - (Built 1770's) The British constructed the fort that stood on this site in the 1770's; in 1781 a significant Revolutionary War battle was fought here when Spanish troops under Bernardo de Galvez ousted the British and took possession of the Province of West Florida.
4. LEE SQUARE - Previously known as Florida Square, this park in 1891 was named Lee Square and was dedicated as Pensacola’s tribute to the Confederacy. The 50-foot high monument was modeled after Egan's painting, "After Appomattox," and is a duplicate of the figure standing in Alexandria, Virginia.
5. MIRANDA SQUARE - Miranda Square was named after General Francisco de Miranda. He fought with Bernardo de Galvez in the Spanish victory at Pensacola, in 1781.
6. NORTH HILL PRESERVATION DISTRICT - Pensacola's prosperity came at the end of the 19th century. The N.H.P.D. is not fully developed, but wandering through this area, you may view some of the magnificent homes built during the era. Markers along Brainard Street and Spring Street locate the Queen's Redoubt and the Prince of Wales Redoubt, parts of the defense system of the British Ft. George.
7. CHRIST CHURCH - This unusual Episcopal Church is built in the Spanish Baroque architectural style.
8. ST. MICHAEL'S CHURCH - This Catholic Church, the oldest of its denomination in Pensacola, was originally established under the Spanish in 1781 near the old Pensacola City Hall.
9. PLAZA FERDINAND VII - -This plaza, named for Spanish King Ferdinand VII, served as the center of Spanish community life and public ceremony. It was here that Andrew Jackson received Florida from Spain in 1821. The monument honors W.D. Chipley, who connected Pensacola to the East by rail.
10. T.T. WENTWORTH, JR., FLORIDA STATE MUSEUM - This elaborate Renaissance Revival building was the height of architectural fashion when it was built as the City Hall in 1907. Its symmetrical design is graced with wide overhanging eaves, a red tile roof, an arched entry porch, and a second-story arcade. In 1987-8, the building was renovated and dedicated as a Florida State Museum. Innovative exhibits portray West Florida history, architecture, and archaeology.
11. MUSEUM OF INDUSTRY - The north section of this Spanish-style building was constructed about 1877 and was used as a warehouse. A decade later the southern portion was added. The fishing and ice industry, brick making, lumber, and railroad are represented in exhibits.
12. MUSEUM OF COMMERCE - Inside this brick turn-of-the century warehouse is a reconstructed 1890's era streetscape complete with a toy store, pharmacy, hardware, music and print shop.
13. LAVALLE HOUSE - The Lavalle House was constructed by Charles Lavalle, a local builder, between the years of 1803 and 1815. It is an example of the Gulf Coast architectural style.
14. JULEE COTTAGE - This cottage is reported to be one of the oldest houses in Pensacola still standing. It was built about 1805. The house was owned by Julee Panton, a freed slave. Julee invested in other pieces of real estate and reportedly loaned the profit to other slaves so they could purchase their freedom.
15. TIVOLI HOUSE - The Tivoli house was built in the early 1800's and was a place where everyone could congregate without respect to birth, wealth or color. It contains a ballroom and theatre. The Tivoli provided the populace with gambling, drinking and billiards. The original was destroyed by fire in the 1930's and was reconstructed here in 1975.
16. DOROTHY WALTON HOUSE - Dorothy Walton, widow of George Walton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence from Georgia, is believed to have resided here until 1832. George Walton, Jr., her son, served as Acting Governor of the Territory of Florida in 1821. The house was deeded to Pensacola in 1964 and moved to the site in 1966.
17. OLD CHRIST CHURCH - Is the oldest church in West Florida still standing on its original site. Its construction was completed in 1832. Today is houses the Pensacola Historical Museum which has relics on display from the past 700 years or more of history in this area.
18. DORR HOUSE - (Built 1871) An example of modified post Civil War classic revival architectural style, this house reflects the lumber boom era through its very high ceilings, wide pine floors, jib windows, and straight wooden staircase. Clara Barkley Dorr, widow of a very prominent Pensacolian, had the house built in 1871 and lived there with her children until about 1895.
19. ST. MICHAEL'S CEMETERY - This site was probably used as a burying ground since 1781 and was the only community cemetery until the 1800's.
The answers to the questions may be found on plaques, statues, monuments, or in this information booklet.
When was Edward A. Perry governor of Florida?
Who did Fort George surrender to?
Who are the three main people listed on the monument in Lee Square?
How many soldiers occupied Ft. George?
During what period and how was the church destroyed?
What was the highest rank held by William D. Chipley?
What was Julee Planton known to do with his money?
When was the original Tivoli building destroyed?
What was established at the Old Christ Church in August 1960?
Who had the Dorr house built?
Scout tours available
Historic Pensacola Village
Cost is $2.00 per person
in BSA Scout uniform
The Village includes
T.T Wentworth Museum
Museum Of Industry
Museum Of Commerce
The Weavers' Cottage
**** NOTICE ****
Call (850) 595-5985
in advance for tour rates
Back to Historical Trails